Fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome: Most of Google Chrome users must have faced ‘This site can’t be reached error‘ but didn’t have any clue how to fix it? Then don’t worry troubleshooter is at your disposal to fix this issue easily. The cause of this error is that the DNS lookup failed so the webpage is not available. When you try to open any website or web page, you received the error and it says Error code:
This site can't be reached www.quora.com’s server DNS address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
The server at any website can’t be found because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website’s name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
When a DNS server can’t convert a domain name to an IP address in a TCP/IP network then there is a DNS failure error. A DNS failure occurs because of the misconfiguration of DNS address or because of Windows DNS client is not working. So without wasting any time let’s see How to Fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome with the help of the below-listed troubleshooting steps.
Table of Contents
Fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome
NOTE: Before making any changes to your system make sure to create a system restore point.
Method 1: Restart DNS client
1. Press Windows Key + R then type “services.msc” and hit enter to open Services window.
2. Scroll down till you find “Network Store Interface Service” (Press N to easily find it).
3. Right-click on Network Store Interface Service and select Restart.
4. Follow the same step for DNS client and DHCP client in the services list.
5. Now the DNS client will restart, go and check if you’re able to Fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome.
Method 2: Change IPv4 DNS Address
1. Right-click on the WiFi icon on the system tray and then click on “Open Network and Sharing Center.“
2. Now click on “Network and Sharing Center“.
3. Next, click on your current connection in order to open Settings and then click Properties.
Note: If you can’t connect to your network then use Ethernet cable to connect and then follow this step.
4. On the Wi-Fi Properties window, select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP)” and click Properties.
5. Checkmark on “Use the following DNS server addresses.“
6. Type the following address in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server:
Note: Instead of the Google DNS you can also use other Public DNS Servers.
7. Checkmark on “Validate settings upon exit” then click OK and click Close.
8. This step may be able to fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome.
Method 3: Reset TCP/IP
1. Right-click on Windows Button and select “Command Prompt(Admin).“
Note: If you don’t see Command Prompt (Admin) then you use this guide to open Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
2. Now type the following command one by one and press Enter after each one:
3. If the above commands didn’t fix the issue then type the following commands one by one and hit Enter:
netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset
4. Reboot to save changes.
Method 4: Disable Proxy
1. Press Windows Key + R then type “inetcpl.cpl” and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
2. Next, switch to the Connections tab and click on the LAN settings button.
3. Uncheck “Use a Proxy Server for your LAN” and make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
4. Click Apply followed by OK and reboot your PC.
If you’re unable to change proxy settings then perform the following steps to fix the issue.
Method 5: Run Network Troubleshooter
1. Press Windows Key + R then type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter to open Network Connections.
2. Right-click on your current active Wifi connection and select Diagnose.
3. Let the Network Troubleshooter run and it will give you the following error message: DHCP is not enabled for “Wireless Network Connection”.
4. Click on “Try these Repairs as an Administrator“.
5. On the next prompt, click Apply this Fix.
If the above didn’t help then run Network Troubleshooter from Windows 10 Settings:
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security.
2. From the left-hand menu select Troubleshoot.
3. Under Troubleshoot click on Internet Connections and then click Run the troubleshooter.
4. Follow further on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
5. Reboot your PC to save changes and see if you’re able to fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome.
Method 6: Reset Chrome Flags Settings
1. Open Google Chrome then type chrome://flags/ in the address bar and hit enter.
2. In the next window proceed with caution and click on the “Reset all” button.
3. Finally, reboot to apply changes and launch Google Chrome.
Method 7: Reinstall your Network driver
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
2. Expand Network adapters then right-click on your WiFi adapter and select Uninstall.
3. Again click Uninstall in order to confirm.
4. From the Device Manager menu, select Action then click on Scan for hardware changes.
5. Reboot your PC and Windows will automatically install the default drivers.
Method 8: Update Wireless Adapter drivers
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
2. Right-click on the wireless adapter under Network Adapters and select Update Driver.
3. Select “Browse my computer for driver software.“
4. Next, click on “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.“
5. Select the latest available driver from the list and click Next.
6. Reboot your PC to save changes and see if you’re able to fix This site can’t be reached Chrome error.
Method 9: Reset Chrome Browser
Note: Make sure you backup your Chrome data before proceeding with the Reset as it will delete all your preferences and data.
To restore Google Chrome to its default settings follow the below steps:
1. Click on three dots icon available at the top right corner.
2. Click on the Settings button from the menu opens up.
3. Scroll down at the bottom of the Settings page and click Advanced.
4. As soon as you click on Advanced, from the left-hand side click on “Reset and clean up“.
5. Now under Reset and clean up tab, click on Restore settings to their original defaults.
6. Below dialog box will open up which will give you all the details about what restoring Chrome settings will do.
Note: Before proceeding read the given information carefully as after that it may lead to loss of some important information or data.
7. After making sure that you want to restore Chrome to its original settings, click on the Reset settings button.
Method 10: Reinstall Chrome
Note: Reinstalling Chrome will delete all your data so make sure you backup your data such as Bookmarks, passwords, settings, etc.
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Apps.
2. From the left-hand menu, select Apps & features.
3. Now under the right-hand side pane, scroll down, and find Google Chrome.
4. Click on Google Chrome then click on the Uninstall button.
5. Again click on the Uninstall button to confirm Chrome uninstallation.
6. Once Chrome uninstallation completes, reboot your PC to save changes.
7. Again download & install the latest version of Google Chrome.
BONUS TIP: Scan for Malware
Malware can also be one of the reasons for This site can’t be reached error in Chrome. In case you are experiencing this issue regularly, then you need to scan your system using the updated Anti-Malware or Antivirus software Like Microsoft Security Essential (which is a free & official Antivirus program by Microsoft). Otherwise, if you have third-party Antivirus or Malware scanners, you can also use them to remove malware programs from your system.
You may also check:
- Fix Err Connection Timed Out Issue in Google Chrome
- How To Fix SSL Connection Error in Google Chrome
- How to fix Server’s certificate has been revoked in chrome
- Fix ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED error in Google Chrome
- How To Fix SSL Certificate Error in Google Chrome
That’s it you have successfully fix This site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome but if you still have any queries regarding this post feel free to ask them in comments and please share this post on social media to help your friends solve this issue easily.