Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect: If you try to run Windows 10 programs or utilities then the following error message may appear “The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.” The issue is caused because of a conflict between the C++ run-time libraries with the application and the application is unable to load the required C++ files need for its execution. These libraries are part of the Visual Studio 2008 release and the version numbers start with 9.0.
It’s possible you may face another error before you get the error message about the side-by-side configuration which says “This file association does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Association control panel.” Most of the time these errors are caused by incompatible, corrupt or outdated C++ or C run-time libraries but sometimes you may also face this error because of corrupt System Files. In any case, let’s see how to actually fix this error with the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Table of Contents
Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Find out which Visual C++ Runtime Library is missing
1. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type the following command into cmd to start trace mode and hit Enter:
SxsTrace Trace -logfile:SxsTrace.etl
3. Now don’t close the cmd, just open the application which is giving the side-by-side configuration error and click OK to close the error pop-up box.
4. Switch back to the cmd and hit Enter which will stop the tracking mode.
5. Now in order to convert the dumped trace file into human-readable form, we will need to parse this file using sxstrace tool and in order to that enter this command into cmd:
sxstrace Parse -logfile:SxSTrace.etl -outfile:SxSTrace.txt
6. The file will be parsed and will be saved into C:\Windows\system32\ directory. Press Windows Key + R then type the following and hit Enter:
7. This will open the SxSTrace.txt file which will have all the information about the error.
8. Find out which C++ run time library it requires and installs that particular version from the below-listed method.
Method 2: Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Your machine is missing the correct C++ runtime components and installing the Visual C++ Redistributable Package seems to Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect error. Install all of the below-updates one by one corresponding to your system (either 32-bit or 64-bit).
Note: Just make sure you first uninstall any of the below-listed redistributable packages in your PC and then again re-install them from the below link.
Method 3: Run SFC Scan
1. Press Windows Key + X then click on Command Prompt(Admin).
2. Now type the following in the cmd and hit enter:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (If above fails)
3. If SFC gives the error message “Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service” then run the following DISM commands:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
4. Reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 4: Run Microsoft Troubleshooting Assistant
If none of the above methods seem to work for you then you need to run Microsoft Troubleshooting Assistant which will try to fix the issue for you. Just go to this link and download the file named “CSSEmerg67758”.
Method 5: Try System Restore
1. Press Windows Key + R and type”sysdm.cpl” then hit enter.
2. Select the System Protection tab and choose System Restore.
3. Click Next and choose the desired System Restore point.
4. Follow the on-screen instruction to complete system restore.
5. After reboot, you may be able to Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect error.
If system restore fails then boot your Windows into safe mode then again try to run the system restore.
Method 6: Update the .NET framework
Method 7: Uninstall Windows Live Essentials
Sometimes Windows Live Essentials seems to conflict with Windows services and hence Uninstalling Windows Live Essentials from the Programs and Features seems to Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect error. If you don’t want to uninstall Windows Essentials then try to repair it from the program menu.
Method 8: Repair Install Windows 10
This method is the last resort because if nothing works out then this method will surely repair all problems with your PC. Repair Install just uses an in-place upgrade to repair issues with the system without deleting user data present on the system. So follow this article to see How to Repair Install Windows 10 Easily.
Recommended for you:
- Fix Host Process for Windows Services has stopped working
- Fix Task Scheduler service is not available error
- How to Fix Windows 10 will not shut down completely
- Fix Windows Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working
That’s it you have successfully Fix The application has failed to start because the side-by-side configuration is incorrect error but if you still have any questions regarding this guide then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.