Fix Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%: The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is finally ready for download and millions of people simultaneously downloading this update is obviously going to create some problems. One such problem is Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant stuck at 99% while downloading the update, without wasting time let’s see how to fix this issue.
Fix Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%
Method 1: Disable windows 10 update manually
Note: Make sure the upgrade assistant is running
- Type services.msc in the Windows search bar, then right click and select run as administrator.
- Now locate Windows update services in the list and right-click on it, then select stop.
- Again right click and select Properties.
- Now set the startup type to Manual.
- Close services.msc after verifying that the update services has stopped.
- Again try to run Windows 10 upgrade assistant and this time it will work.
Method 2: Delete Windows Update Cache
- Restart Windows 10 if you are stuck at the Windows 10 anniversary update.
- Right Click on Windows button and select Command Promot (Admin).
- Now type the following in the cmd and press enter after each one:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
- Exit Command Prompt and go the following folder: C:\Windows\
- Search for the folder SoftwareDistribution, then copy it and paste it on your desktop for backup purpose.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ and delete everything inside that folder.
Note: Don’t delete the folder itself.
- Finally, reboot your PC and run Windows Upgrade assistant again, this time, it might actually work.
Method 3: Updating using the Media Creation Tool
- Download the Media Creation Tool from here.
- Double-click on the setup file to launch the tool.
- Follow on screen instruction until you get to Windows 10 Setup.
- Select Upgrade this PC now and click Next.
- When the download is finished, click Accept to agree to terms and conditions.
- Make sure you have selected Keep personal files and apps in the installer which is selected by default.
- If not then click on “Change what to keep” link in the setup to change the settings.
- Click install to begin the Windows 10 anniversary update.
If above doesn’t work for you then again go to services.msc and right click on it to disable it. Restart your PC and make sure Windows update is disable then again try to run the Windows 10 upgrade assistant or better use Media Creation Tool.
If you still have any question regarding this post feel free to ask them in comments. Share this post to help your family and friends if they are still facing this issue.