- 1 Fix Restore Point Not Working in Windows 10
- 2 Method 6: Check if System Restore services are running
Fix Restore Point Not Working in Windows 10: System Restore not working in Windows 10 is a very common issue which user’s encountered every now and then. Well, system restore not working can be classified into following two categories: system restore is not able to create restore point, and system restore fails & unable to restore your computer.
There is no specific reason as to why system restore stopped working unexpectedly but we do have quite a few troubleshooting steps which would definitely fix the system restore issue permanently.
The following error message may also pop up which are all fixable by the below-listed troubleshooting steps:
- System Restore failed.
- Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.
- An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070005)
- System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer’s system files and settings were not changed.
- System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
- System Restore doesn’t appear to be functioning correctly on this system. (0x80042302)
- There was an unexpected error in the property page. (0x8100202)
- System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again. (0x81000203)
- System Restore did not completely successfully. An unexpected error occurs during System Restore. (0x8000ffff)
- Error 0x800423F3: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur.
- Can’t system restore, file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570)
Note: This also fixes System Restore is disabled by your system administrator message.
If System Restore is grayed out or System Restore tab is missing or if you receive a System Restore is disabled by your system administrator message, this post will help you fix the problem on your Windows 10/8/7 computer.
Before continue make sure you try to run system restore from safe mode.
Fix Restore Point Not Working in Windows 10
Method 1: Run CHKDSK and System File Checker
1.Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2.In the cmd type the following command and hit enter after each one:
sfc /scannow chkdsk /f C:
3.Let the above process finish and then restart your PC.
Method 2: Enable System Restore
1.Press Windows Key + R and then type “gpedit.msc” and hit enter to open group policy editor.
2.Now navigate to the following:
Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>System Restore
3.Set Turn off Configuration and Turn off System Restore settings to Not configured.
4.Next right click This PC or my computer and select Properties.
5.Now select System Protection from left pane.
6.Make sure the Local Disk (C:) (System) is selected and click on Configure.
7.Check “Turn on system protection” and set at least 5 to 10 GB under Disk Space Usage.
8.Click Apply and then restart your PC to apply changes.
Method 3: Enable system restore from registry
1.Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit enter to open Registry editor.
2.Next, navigate to the following keys:
3.Delete the value DisableConfig and DisableSR.
4.Reboot your PC.
Method 4: Disable your antivirus.
Method 5: Run clean boot
1.Press Windows Key + R then type “msconfig” and hit enter to open system configuration.
2.Under general settings check Selective startup but uncheck Load startup items in it.
3.Next, select Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft and then click Disbale all.
4.Click Ok and restart your PC.
Method 6: Check if System Restore services are running
1.Press Windows Key + R then type “services.msc” and hit enter to open Services.
2.Locate the following services: Volume Shadow Copy, Task Scheduler, Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service and System Restore Service.
3.Double click each of the above services and set the startup type to Automatic.
4.Make sure that the above services status is set to Running.
5.Click Ok followed by Apply and then restart your PC.
That’s it, you have successfully Fix Restore Point Not Working in Windows 10 but if you still have any queries regarding this post feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.