- 1 How to fix application error 0xc0000005
How to fix application error 0xc0000005
Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files & settings that it requires to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, or when you try and upgrade Windows, it has many different causes including the likes of faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.
You get the application error 0xc0000005 message when you try to start one of your programs in windows or install software. The program terminates with the 0xc0000005 message and you can’t get it work. We will try to fix you problem through different fixes:
Method 1: Windows Restore
Before doing anything, the best solution you can try to fix this error is by using windows restore, yes you can switch to earlier date when your PC was working fine and you didn’t encounter the application error 0xc0000005.
- Right Click on “This PC” or “My Computer” and select properties.
- When inside properties windows, select “Advanced system settings” in the middle-left corner.
- In the advanced settings window select the tab “System Protection” and then click on “System Restore“.
- Hit next and check the box “Show more restore points“.
- From there select one restore point (probably select the restore point which is 20-30 days before the current date)
- That’s it, it will take some time but you will be restored to earlier point.
Now go and check if the above solution fixed the application error 0xc0000005 error, if not continue to next method.
Method 2: Fixing Registries
The registry is a database in Windows that contains important information about system hardware, installed programs and settings, and profiles of each of the user accounts on your computer. Windows continually refers to the information in the registry.
Registries can get corrupted due to damage to some certain files required to stack everything in place. These can also be influenced by viruses and malware’s. So, follow these steps to fix registries in order to resolve the application error 0xc0000005.
- Download and install registry cleaner from here.
- Open the software after the installation process is finished.
- On the interface, click on the Registry tab present on the left pane and click the button labeled as Scan for Issues.
- It will start searching for errors in registry and when the search will be finished, a button Fix Selected Issue will be activated. Click on that button and everything will be fixed.
- Restart your PC and check again for application error 0xc0000005.
For most of the user this fix might have worked but if you are still stuck on the same error, continue.
Method 3: System File Checker
The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.
1. Right Click on the windows button and from there open command prompt with administrative rights.
2. Now in the cmd window type sfc /scannow.
3. Wait for the system file checker to finish.
Again try the application which was giving error 0xc0000005 and if it’s still not fixed please continue.
Method 4: Check your BCD (Boot Configuration Data)
You have hacked or infected files on your computer. The files could be Infected by a virus or malware, but If you have xOsload.exe, xNtKrnl.exe or/and oem-drv64.sys they are hacked files to overcome activating Windows.
Check your BCD and do the below fix if necessary (at your own risk). In Windows open CMD as Administrator and type BCDEdit and enter, if your Windows Boot Loader Path is xOsload.exe then you need to remove some files and repair your BCD.
NOTE: You will need to re-activate Windows afterwards, so make sure you have your Windows 7 key handy.
(Please set the drive letters according to your windows installed directory)
Boot to Windows Repair – and open command prompt and type these following commands:
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Method 5: Turn off DEP
Quite often the application error 0xC0000005 error occurs because of Data Execution Prevention (DEP) introduced by Microsoft in Windows SP2 and used in later versions. DEP is a set of security features that prevents code execution from non-executable memory segments. Go here to learn how to turn off DEP.
Method 6: Bad RAM Memory
Quite often the application error occurs from a faulty RAM memory. This is most likely the reason if you started getting the 0xC0000005 error message after installing a new RAM memory. To check this you can remove the new memory and see if the 0xC0000005 error disappears.
Don’t forget to do the following before you start removing the memory:
1) Turn off your computer and remove all cables (power, network, etc.)
2) Remove the battery (if you have a laptop).
3) Ground yourself out before you touch the memory.
Method 7: Try Rkill
Rkill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When Rkill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools, when finished it will display a log file which shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.
Download Rkill from here, install and run it.
Method 8: Disable antivirus
Antivirus programs can affect the executable files of a number of programs. So, in order to fix this problem, you are required to disable the third-party antivirus program to check whether it was the problem or not. Please note that disabling antivirus program can result in some serious threats to your computer when connected to internet.
After all these steps your application error 0xc0000005 problem might have been solved and if you still have any queries regarding this feel free to comment.