How To Fix File System Errors with Check Disk Utility(CHKDSK)
Check disk utility can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors. CHKDSK (pronounced check disk) is a command that displays a status report for a volume, such as a disk, and can correct any errors found in that volume.
CHKDSK basically make sure that the disk is healthy by inspecting the physical structure of the disk. It repairs problems related to lost clusters, bad sectors, directory errors, and cross-linked files. Corruption in the file or folders structure can occur due to system crash or freeze, power glitches or incorrectly turning off computer etc. Once some sort of error occurs it can propagate to create more errors so a regularly scheduled disk checkup is part of good system maintenance.
How to run Check Disk Utility
CHKDSK can be run as a command-line application or it can be run with a graphical user interface. The latter is the best option for a typical home PC user so let’s see how to run check disk with graphical user interface:
- Open window explorer and Right click on the drive you want to run check disk, then select properties.
- In the properties window click on tools and under Error Checking click on Check button.
Sometimes Check Disk cannot start because the disk you want to check is still being used by the system processes, so disk check utility will ask you to schedule the disk check on the next reboot, click yes and reboot the system. Do not press any key after you restart so that Check Disk will continue to run and wait for the process to finish. The whole thing could take up to an hour depending on your hard disk capacity:
How to run CHKDSK with command prompt
- Right click on windows button and select “Command Prompt (Admin).”
- In the cmd windows type CHKDSK /f /r and hit enter.
- It will ask to schedule the scan in the next system reboot, type Y and hit enter.
- For more useful commands type CHKDSK /? in cmd and it will list all the command related with CHKDSK .
That’s it you have successfully ran check disk utility via both the methods and fixed the problem with File System Errors. If you still have doubt or any further questions regarding anything feel free to comment and i shall get back to you in no time.
Latest posts by adityafarrad (see all)
- Fix Error Code 2755 Windows Installer - March 26, 2017
- Fix Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19) - March 25, 2017
- Fix Error Code 0xc0000225 Windows 10 - March 24, 2017