Headphones not working in Windows 10 Fix: I am running the public release of Windows 10 on a Dell laptop that has the Realtek HD audio adapter and this is how I fixed getting the headphone jack to send audio to my external speaker system and to the so-so internal speakers of the laptop!
NOTE: Before trying all these fixes make sure you have appropriate drivers for you sound card, as in my case its Realtek and you can download the default drivers from here.
Method 2 seems to work for everyone in fixing Headphones not working in Windows 10 problem so try it before any else method.
Solution to fix Headphones not working in Windows 10:
- Right click on your sound icon.
- Click on Sounds and then go to Playback tab.
- Select your Speakers/Headphones and click on Properties.
- You’ll see Controller Information and a button “Properties“, click it.
- Click on Change Settings (Needs Administrators permission)
- Go to the Driver tab and select Update Driver.
- Let it download automatically.
- Done! You can go check your headphone now. It should work, if not restart and check.
If above doesn’t fix your problem lets go to method 2.
- Right click on “This PC” or “My Computer” and select “Properties.”
- In Properties windows in the left plane select “Device Manager.”
- Under Sound, Video and Game controllers, right click on High Definition Audio Device and select “Properties.“
- Now go to Driver tab in High Definition Audio Device Properties and click on “Update Driver.”
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- And then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- Select High Definition Audio Device, click Next, Click yes to the warning.
It should work at this point. Restart your computer and check for headphone.
If not than go to method 3.
If you have installed the Realtek software, open the Realtek HD Audio Manager , and check the “Disable front panel jack detection” option, under connector settings in the right side panel. The headphones and other audio devices work without any problem.
Although METHOD 2 works like charm, but i am sure these method will fix your problem with Headphones not working in Windows 10 easily.
That’s it go and enjoy your speakers but if you still have any queries or the methods didn’t worked out for you please let me know in the comments.
Latest posts by adityafarrad (see all)
- Fix Boot Configuration Data File is missing some required information - April 13, 2017
- Fix Your PC needs to be repaired error - March 28, 2017
- Fix Windows Store Error The Server Stumbled - March 27, 2017