How to fix Games Application Error 0xc0000142
Fix for Games Application Error 0xc0000142: Windows software fail to load games often giving this error “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142” Or 0xc0000142 appears Whenever We try to open following applications & games:
Far Cry 3 Metro Last Night Dying light far cry 4 Call of duty advanced warfare Gta V Autodesk AutoCAD AutoCAD Sleeping dogs Witcher 2 Watch dogs Outlook Metal Gear Age of Empire
PROBLEM: The problem is of DLL load error meaning that the DLL that launches the application is unsigned or digitally no longer valid and the fix we are going to see will have DLL files which can most probably solve this error, so let’s see what happens.
Fix for Games Application Error 0xc0000142:
- Go to this link and download the files.
- After the download, extract the file and put these files inside your game folder.
- That’s it people, your game should be running in no time.
If this fixes your problem then you don’t need to continue but if you didn’t please carry on to the next method.
Run the application in compatibility mode and always start the application as administrator.
- Right click on file (giving games application error 0xc0000142).
- Click on Properties.
- Click on Compatibility tab.
- Click on “Run compatibility troubleshooter” if the games work save the settings if not continue.
- Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Select the operating system to which the driver is available.
- Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under Privilege Level.
- Click on apply and then exit.
I used the
The problem is DLL load error and now we have to find which DLL is causing this error, which isn’t always that easy – even though the message says which DLL failed to load, its not always that DLL (sometimes it can be a missing dependency) which in turn is a bigger problem.
If you used steam to install your game then you can ask it to verify the game’s cache. If not, try to reinstall the game or try to repair any Visual C/C++ Runtimes or .NET Frameworks you have installed in case they have become damaged. Update your graphic card drivers and windows which will most likely fix the issue.
A bit deeper…
One way to check for missing dependencies is to use Dependency Walker (
You have to make sure you get the latest version of Dependency Walker and the processor architecture of Dependency Walker should be same as the game (x86 version to check an 32-bit program and x64 version to check 64-bit program). Please keep in mind sometimes it can give results which can be hard to understand but sometimes it can give very useful results.
An Alternative way is to use
This will record the actions your programs take, such as accessing a DLL file. Use it to record the actions of your games startup process where it gives the games application error 0xc0000142, then set a filter to include only your game’s activities. To do this go to “Tools” then “Process Tree” and find your game in the list.
Select the game and click `Include Subtree`.
You probably also want to exclude all events that aren’t file system events – there’s a row of buttons on the toolbar to do this:
Now you need to investigate anything with an extension of `.dll` that has a result of NAME NOT FOUND or PATH NOT FOUND.
If the above didn’t fix your problem you could try this post How To Fix Application Error 0xc0000142.
After carefully following the above listed methods , Games Application Error 0xc0000142 might be fixed but if you still have queries feel free to ask them in comment section.
Latest posts by adityafarrad (see all)
- Fix Interrupt Exception not handled error Windows 10 - January 18, 2017
- Fix Class Not Registered error Windows 10 - January 16, 2017
- Fix CRITICAL PROCESS DIED in Windows 10 - January 16, 2017