Fix Error Code 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified:
The different causes for Error code 80070002 error that we have seen so far are:
- The source volume has disk errors
- Missing ProfileImagePath
- AUTOMOUNT is disabled
- Machine has a dual boot configuration
- Snapshot on the source volume gets deleted
- Critical services were turned off
Let’s try to fix the Error Code 0x80070002:
Method 1: Fix Disk errors:
- Right click on Windows Button and select “Command Prompt(Admin).”
- Now type the following command in cmd:
- Let it automatically fix error and reboot.
Method 2: Delete the missing ProfileImagePath.
- Press Windows key + R and type “regedit” to open registry.
- Now navigate to this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- Expand Profile list and the first 4 profiles should have ProfileImagePath value of:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\SystemProfile %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService C:\Users\Aditya
- If one or more of the profile has no profile image, then you have missing profiles.
Note: Before proceeding forward please backup registry by selecting “Computer”, then click File, then Export and save.
- Finally delete the profile in question.
Method 3: Enable AUTOMOUNT
The volumes may go offline if AUTOMOUNT is disabled either while using a 3rd party storage software or if the user manually disabled the AUTOMOUNT for the volume. To check this type the following command after running diskpart in the administrator command prompt
- Right click on Windows button and select “Command Prompt(Admin).”
- Type DISKPART and hit enter.
- Type the following commands:
DISKPART> automount DISKPART> automount enable
- Reboot and the volume will not go offline.
- If it doesn’t fix your problem, then again open DISKPART.
- Type the following commands:
C:\>Diskpart C:\Diskpart> List volume C:\Diskpart> Select volume 2 (Only choose 100 MB or system partition from list volumes) C:\Diskpart> Online volume C:\Diskpart> exit
Method 4: Fix dual boot configuration.
- Press Windows key + R and type “diskmgmt.msc” to open disk management.
- Right click on the Windows system partition (Which generally is C:) and select “Mark Partition as Active.”
- Restart to apply changes.
Method 5: Increase shadowcopy storage area
Snapshot on the source volume gets deleted while the backup is in progress due to very little shadow copy storage area on the source.
- Right click on Windows button and select “Command Prompt(Admin).“
- Type the following command in cmd:
vssadmin list shadowstorage
- If you have very little shadowcopy storage area then type the following in cmd:
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C: /MaxSize=5%
- Reboot to apply changes. If it doesn’t fix your issue again open cmd and type:
vssadmin delete shadows /all
- Again Reboot.
Method 6: Restore your PC to earlier time.
Do a System Restore and install a registry cleaner software CCleaner from here.
If nothing works then Refresh your PC or Reset your PC.
Recommended for you:
By now the Error Code 0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified must have gone and you are back to your good old working PC. If you still have any question regarding this post feel free to ask them in comments.